I decided rather than dedicate this blog completely to Apartment Therapy’s January Cure, I’d do one post a week to update you on our progress. We’ve actually managed to cross quite a few things off our list, and of course are keeping up with the weekly tasks as well. The house is definitely feeling a lot more like home! A clean, organised one too. And I’ve managed to keep the rose bush alive for a week, so perhaps there’s still hope for my gardening skills.
Complete photo wall so that it runs all the way back to the guest room
- Find a bright and colorful runner for the floor (buy in February)
- Create a landing dock – ideally with charging stations so that we can finally leave our phones out of the bedroom
Hoover welcome mat
- Re-organise and dust bookcase – especially relocating keys, etc to the new landing dock
Move around the art – now that the sofa has arrived, things feel out of balance Discard and replace candles that are finished
- Mop / polish wood floors
- Find throw pillows for the new sofa (another February purchase)
- Find a new seasonal decoration to fill the bowl on the coffee table, and the centre of the dining table
Hoover under the bed. With two Norwegian Forest Cats, fur gets EVERYWHERE. Even though we already vacuum twice a week, it’s time for a deep clean.
- Wash the linens that are folded in Ollie’s basket. They are also covered in fur.
Update photo – we’ve actually done a lot to this room already, I just haven’t shared it here. So time to rectify that(have a look below)
Finish grouting the tiles
- Smooth out plaster
- Mop floors
Get rid of products that are out of date; store products that are only used rarely Find art (this is the one room that doesn’t have anything in it yet)
- Replace plastic boxes on our shelving unit with pretty storage containers (and take photo to show before and after)
- Donate plastic cat carriers to the rescue home down the road and replace with collapsable ones that stow away
- Find some fun things to put on the shelves
- Buy four more LPs and frames to add to the wall
- Replace bare bulb with the Hector pendant light (or get someone to come out and do it)
- Deep clean
This weekend will be all about finding a cabinet for the hallway so that I can create our landing dock. In the meantime, I thought I’d share a few photos of the bedroom now that we’ve moved art and furniture around. My new favourite thing is the Ikea Trendig cabinet we picked up a few months ago. It’s meant to be used for dining room storage, but makes a pretty perfect mini wardrobe! I especially love the pop or orange, which perfectly matches our bright duvet.
Now that the room is feeling finished, we love crawling into bed after a long day. What have you guys been up to? Anyone kicking off 2014 with a massive project?